Wednesday, 25 November 2015

University Hunting - Two Month Journey

Final year at college and the stressful earth to find my perfect course and university is here. All the preparation from college has lead up for some primary research of my own. As you know if you're a active reader of my blog, I am interested in doing further education but in the one thing I am passionate about, fashion (specially fashion marketing/promotion). Over September and October, I have been going to open days finding the perfect place for me, it's scary the thought of looking where you'll be situated for 3-4 years of your life, most likely away from your hometown, then again I am excited to get my independence as I become an adult. I went to 5 open days, Leeds, Salford, Huddersfield, UCLan & UCA (University for the Creative Arts). I thought talking about my first impressions and what I found out about the courses would be interesting to blog about so I hope you enjoy reading about my time exploring for my future university. 

Leeds
For my first open day I had to keep my mind open and not fall to hard for a course and university straight away for the social life etc before I look at my course first. Early morning and early train but all content and chilled, we got to the university alright but got lost finding the fashion building. It's annoy how much I take in where I go to new places, touring the building when we eventually got there, I kept walking away looking around for myself. The talk itself was so intriguing and made me realise that this course is perfect with the modules and how much I can explore in and out of it and the placements options out of the country, don't get me started. I literally felt like I was at home here but it's only the first one so no committing just yet.
UCA - Rochester
An art university because I am so arty lol, but this trip was my furthest out of all five. So early morning adventures on the mega bus and straight to Rochester on the first train from Victoria. Let me tell you about the university, situated on top of a hill with the most gorgeous view; the course, it had everything like literally you have so much to learn and find your true major of promotion within fashion, I love how creative you can get and where this place could get you. It was truly inspirational, probably two main things that brought me to love this university so much, they have their own magazine being GEIST which the students create themselves and sell in cities internationally and also all the alumni who have graduated like wow I would be honoured to be accepted into such a prestige art university.

UCLan
The day after Rochester, you wouldn't understand I was like recovering from the journey, me and my mother had to run to the coach station in 5 minutes from the train otherwise we'd be stuck in London for the night, transport wasn't on our side that day. But anyways local at home this time so it was okay, uclan has such a great reputation for their fashion courses and even though I want the whole university experience and move away, I would most definitely consider home as an option. I won't go too much about here, I have talked about my experience in my post INSPIRING FUTURE, however I will tell you I am spoiled for choice which path I take in promotion from this university, the promotion course itself sounded so amazing however styling is something I'd love to try and brand promotion with specializing in photography like so much option I just can't choose.
OOTD: // Top: American Apparel // Pants: Zara // Shoes & Bag: New Look //
Salford 
A day to Manchester for the University of Salford's open day and it's was the only course which isn't marketing, but more photography based which is interesting and a change for my other courses, giving me a little bit of variety of choices. The only thing which really disappoint me about this day is that because my course was going to be in the new building which isn't complete yet, there was no tour around the facilities. However I have never met a more down-to-earth lecture for a course ever, even let alone the person who created the course. Enthusiastic with her passion and achievements for Styling and Image Making, I have taken a huge interest of fashion photography as a whole course.
Huddersfield
My final open day, a little bit of relief as all this travelling every weekend began to tire me out a little but, however the one place I'd thought would be just an extra university to apply to, well let's just say they really won me over. Maybe a small town you'd think there wouldn't be much in store, you'd be surprise what Huddersfield held, the university campus was all together and was very modern as well to top it off. Going into my talk for Fashion Communications & Promotion I noticed one of the alumni is a blogger I've followed for a while, which really surprised me and she got a lot of praise from the lectures, the course breakdown ticked all of my boxes and also offered a year placement as well. There was something drawing me here which was special and I felt like I was at home.
So a crazy two months of travelling but I really enjoyed my visits to every university I went to, a lot of consideration of where will be the best place for me to study went on and is still going on. Now I have sent off my application for university, it's now the waiting game of which one of these 5 universities will be home for the next 3/4 years.





 *Disclaimer* photos are taken at UCA & Leeds facilities due to camera wiping out my other three visits
x toni x

5 comments :

  1. Hey hun i study fashion design at UCA Rochester. I remember there being open days some time ago, haha you was probably there at that time. It is good that you are doing your research properly and seeing the Uni's itself. I hope everything goes well for you!
    I am hoping to do a video on 'Studying fashion design as a degree/career' soon on my YouTube channel. Hopefully it could help you as creative subjects are literally just a whole different field. And it's so different from College and foundation.
    Goodluck babe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to this open day in September so if you was there you may have seen me. But UCA is one of my main choices, hopefully I at least get an offer. And I am excited to see your YouTube video, please tell me when it's uploaded it will really help.

      Thank you darling x

      Delete
    2. Im sure you will do great!
      My video is up hun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdc77JZKbL8
      www.genadore.com

      Delete
  2. i'm already done with university but fashion would've been awesome to study, hope you find the perfect fit :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Petite Fro Chic | BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNABASSDESIGN